Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Managua, Nicaragua

I arrived Saturday March 31st to Managua at 10 pm after a long day of traveling. The wet weather in Houston made the trip even longer. I was greeted my my new host mother , Leyda , my new aunt, Lena , her sister, and my new little sister, Judith, Leyda's daughter who is 10 yrs old. Who, by the way, dressed up for the occasion. She looked beautiful. Upon arriving to my new home, my new little brother Natan was waiting to say hi, he's 16 yrs. old and just as cute as can be. The greetings were short as we were all tired and ready to go bed.

Sunday morning we were off to church ( an hour later than planned which seems to be a pattern here). I was surprised and a little embarressed when I was exiting the rest room and the congregation was waiting to pray for me. The worship is very colorful and lively. Dancers in the front with flags and swags of frabric. Lots of clapping and dancing. Pastor Ricardo Hernandez's ( my new host father and Leyda's husband) message sounded interesting but of course I could not understand a word. The earlier service has translators, so hopefully we will make it to that service next week.

In the evening we, Helen from Forward Egde, Gloria my new boss, and I were off to a wedding ( that started about 1 1/2 hours late)! I had met the family during my last few visits to Nica. I had the pleasure of cutting the hair of the mother and daughter last August. The ceremony was much like in the states. Except of course the late start. The "walking down the isle" music was our " after they are married walking down the isle music" and vice versa. We did not stay for the reception as we were all very tired.

Monday morning we took 3 brothers from El Canyon orphanage to buy shoes and to have hamburgers, chicken nuggets and ice cream ( helado ). Nahum, Saul, Helen, and Gener (in the picture). These boys have a special place in Helen and her husbands heart. And it was great to see the relationship they all have developed. The youngest Saul was our interpreter and did wonderful. Their mother died of cancer in 2005 and their father lives a few hours outside Manaugua and is unable to care for them. They were very happy to get new "cool" new tennis shoes and to have a trip outside the orphanage. I look forward to seeing them again soon.

In the afternoon Helen, Gloria, a guest from the US and I had a meeting to see what this next year is going to look like and how we all can work as a team. The plans for the "Home of Hope" are coming along as the land has been purchased. There are some wonderful new ideas on how to make this area feel like a real home. God is doing major work here and in the lives of people who are coming to visit ans serve. I am looking forward to meetng new people that live here that are becoming a part of this project.

It is Holy week now so the city is pretty quiet. I will be able to rest from the hectic schedule of the last few weeks in the US and have time to adjust and visit w/ my new family. Every meal we sit down and eat together. I have been visiting with another new little brother Ariel 18 yrs old. We found out we both have a liking to the TV show Lost. He has lots of questions because of the language barrier, he does speak a little English. I told him even though I speak English I don't always understand that show. We laughed. It's also very hot. In the upper 90's which means with the humidity it feels even hotter. I think Thursday is supposed to be around 100 degrees. And it hasn't rained since November!! Very dusty!

Next week I will apply for my visa, look for a car, get a PO box, cell phone etc. All the wonderful errands we do in the states. FUN!! Maybe I will be brave and start to drive!

Please pray:
  • God guides the visa process, that the paperwork would be clear and accurate.
  • God opens my mind to learn and understand Spanish and loosens my tongue to speak it.
  • God covers my adjustment to driving in this country and keeps others and myself safe.
  • Praise God for my host family, the Hernandez's, that He blesses them Mightily for their obedience to Him.
  • Praise God for the lives He is changing daily and for the protection He provides.

Thank you all for your support. Sorry if there are misspellings as this blog is in Spanish right now, so my spell check tells me all the words are spelled wrong!!!

10 comments:

kelly lynn creations said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Helen said...

Glad you're there and have a blog so soon! You're awesome. This is a great way to keep in touch. Tell "the boys" and everyone else hi for me. See you soon ...

Trying to make a difference said...

Hey Susie, I am so glad you made it there safely. I hope everything is going well and continues to go well. Take care and I will shoot you an email soon.

Cheers!
Skye

Tim Farrant said...

Susie,
Thank you for the update! It was great to hear things are off to a good start. I am excited to continue to hear how God is going to use you and stretch you there. I am going to pass this link on to all the Refuge staff also. You are in our prayers!

Tim Farrant

lorena said...

Hey Susie..........I am so excited for you. It sounds like you are adjusting quite well, and excited to be back. I too can not wait to hear all about what God does while you are in Nica. Ohhhhhhhh please tell Jener I said hello!!!!!! His picture is on my piano, and please tell him I pray often for him.

Che said...

It is so awesome to hear how wonderful things are. I am so excited about coming in July. Seeing the picture of the boys brings tears to my eyes. They are such wonderful brothers. Tell the kids at the orphanage and Gloria I said hello and will be there soon!!!

:) Che

Unknown said...

COOL BLOG, Susie! I can't wait to read more about Nica from your blog. Susie, we're all so excited for you and what God is going to do in Nica. I'll be praying for you and Gloria as you co-work together. Please do keep up with the blog... it's going to be one of the most exciting things for me to do. Take care!

Skipper said...

Hi Suzie, Jann Churchill here. So glad you're settling in there! Say hi to Jenner, Saul and Nahum for me! They're dear to my heart also! Looking forward to seeing you on my next trip. Stay cool!

Lynn said...

Hi Susie, it's exciting to hear about everything happening down in Nicaragua. We're all thinking of you and praying for the mosquitos to leave you alone. Hope the rest of your week is productive the blessings you bring forth to others have a great impact on your journey.

Love you lots!
Lynn

Anonymous said...

Great to see you doing what you love. Hope all are well. Say "HI" to Jener for me and will see ya'll again this summer.